[ICPSR] ICPSR DataBytes - Winter 2012

Matthew A. Richardson matvey at icpsr.umich.edu
Mon Feb 27 10:17:17 EST 2012

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2012-02-27.html

In This Issue

ICPSR's Winter Byte
The Heat is On - Summer Program Registration is Open!
Summer Courses on Data Management and Services in Bloom
Guiding Data Sharing - a 5th Edition
Council News - Welcome to New Members!
More Council News - 2013 Fees
Reminder
Fall Reading for This Winter
Exclusively for ICPSR Members
Spring Reception in San Francisco - You're Invited!
Celebrating our 50th Year!
ICPSR Events
Upcoming conferences &
Council meetings

Get Connected!
ICPSR on Facebook
Email Subscriptions
ICPSR on del.icio.us
ICPSR on YouTube

Membership Bits

Current membership count: 718

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 537

# Twitter Followers: 636

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Feedback

Manage your subscription

ICPSR's Winter Byte

Winter 2012 has made a rather tepid appearance in Ann Arbor (so far!). And while winter has largely failed to materialize, our winter edition of DataBytes endures!

The Heat is On - Summer Program Registration is Open!

ICPSR's 2012 Summer Program in Quantitative Methods is open for registration. Register now for another summer of statistics and fun!

Summer Courses on Data Management and Services in Bloom

ICPSR is offering three courses this summer of interest to individuals managing data and/or providing services related to data. Explore these: Applied Data Science - Managing Research Data for Re-Use; Assessing and Mitigating Disclosure Risk - Essentials for Social Science; Providing Social Science Data Services - Strategies for Design and Operation.

Guiding Data Sharing - a 5th Edition

ICPSR is pleased to announce the release of the fifth edition of the "Guide to Social Science Data Preparation and Archiving," with new and updated information on data management plans, video files, respondent disclosure protection, and virtual data enclaves. For the first time, we have developed a Web-based version of the Guide, providing a quicker and more efficient way to search and browse the material. A PDF version is also available.

Council News - Welcome to New Members!

ICPSR is pleased to welcome six new Council members, and to announce the appointment of Council member Rogelio Saenz to a two-year term as Council Chair. The next meeting is March 22-23, 2012. See the bios of all members on the ICPSR Council section of the Web site.

More Council News - 2013 Fees

Reminder
To assist members in planning ahead for budgets, after six years of frozen membership rates, we want to remind you that in June 2010, Council approved a 5% increase in membership fees across all categories for FY2013 (beginning July 1, 2012). Developing country rates will remain unchanged. (Please note that FY2013 invoices will be mailed in May and are due August 30, 2012.)

Fall Reading for This Winter

Did you miss the Fall 2011 ICPSR Bulletin? This edition is stocked full of great stuff including a Q&A with George Alter, who accepted a 5-year appointment as ICPSR Director this past fall; a description of a new ICPSR partnership with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation involving the archiving of videos; and bios of new directors of three topical archives.

Exclusively for ICPSR Members

A four-month free trial or 70% off of the annual subscription rate to Sociometrics' Social Science Electronic Data Library (SSEDL) is available to ICPSR member institutions. See the ICPSR Web site for more details!

Spring Reception in San Francisco - You're Invited!

In celebration of our 50th year in data management, you are cordially invited to ICPSR's celebratory reception held during the Population Association of America meeting in San Francisco on Thursday, May 3, 2012. ICPSR will also be exhibiting at the American Educational Research Association meeting in Vancouver in April - come visit us at the booth!

Celebrating our 50th Year!

ICPSR will conclude its celebration of 50 years in data management with a symposium titled, "Analyzing Sustainable Social-Ecological Systems," featuring Nobel Laureate and former Council member, Dr. Elinor Ostrom. The symposium will take place on June 7, 2012, at 3:00 pm at the Rackham Amphitheatre on the University of Michigan's campus. Livestream instructions will be made available via our Web site and our social media outlets.