[ICPSR] Summer DataBytes

Matthew A. Richardson matvey at icpsr.umich.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:12:10 EDT 2011

Having trouble viewing this message? Links disabled? Click or copy:
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/ICPSR/enewsletters/2011-07-20.html

In This Issue

ICPSR's Summer Byte
Heating Up for the Fall OR Meeting!
A Smoke-Free Visit
On-Demand Impact
Authentication Made Easier
Sealed and Approved!
Council News - 2013 Fees Reminder
SAMHDA and NAHDAP Name New Directors
More Data on Student Athletes
Summer Receptions in Las Vegas and Seattle - You're Invited!
ICPSR Events
Upcoming conferences &
Council meetings

Get Connected!
The ICPSR Blog
ICPSR on Facebook
Email Subscriptions
ICPSR on YouTube

Membership Bits

Current membership count: 702

# ICPSR Facebook Fans: 475

# Twitter Followers: 405

This newsletter was broadcast on behalf of:

ICPSR
University of Michigan
330 Packard
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Feedback

Manage your subscription

ICPSR's Summer Byte

As the streets of Ann Arbor fill with art, people and heat, we take a moment to share some news from the cool halls of ICPSR in our summer edition of DataBytes.

Heating Up for the Fall OR Meeting!

The program is set, hotel rooms are being booked, and flights arranged as ICPSR's members prepare for the ICPSR 2011 Biennial OR Meeting. Be sure to reserve your rooms soon as some hotels are booked and hotel blocks will be released as early as September 4, 2011.

A Smoke-Free Visit

Visiting the University of Michigan? All U-M facilities, buildings and grounds are now smoke-free, and smoking is only allowed on sidewalks adjacent to public thoroughfares on the Ann Arbor campuses. Questions on the policy are answered on the UM Smoke-Free University Initiative Web site.

On-Demand Impact

ICPSR is pleased to announce the availability of study utilization reports, a new tool that provides access and download statistics for every study in our archive. The reports will help researchers and funders better understand the impact of archiving their data. The reports are available from each study's home page by clicking on the "View Study Usage" link.

Authentication Made Easier

Starting this past May, ICPSR users have additional options for logging in to ICPSR. Visitors wishing to download data or access other ICPSR functions that require authentication will be able to use their Google or Facebook accounts or their MyData accounts.

Sealed and Approved!

ICPSR is one of the first six data repositories to earn the Data Seal of Approval. Created by the Data Archiving and Networked Services archive in The Netherlands and overseen by an international board, the Data Seal of Approval is meant to demonstrate to researchers that data repositories are taking appropriate measures to ensure the long-term availability and quality of data they hold.

Council News - 2013 Fees Reminder

To assist members in planning ahead for budgets, after six years of frozen membership rates, in June 2010, Council approved a 5% increase in membership fees across all categories for FY2013 (beginning July 1, 2012). Developing country rates will remain unchanged. (Please note that FY2012 invoices were mailed in May and are due August 30, 2011.)

SAMHDA and NAHDAP Name New Directors

SAMHDA will be led by Dr. John E. Marcotte. SAMHDA promotes the access and use of the nation's preeminent substance abuse and mental health research data by assuring accurate public use data files and documentation to support a better understanding of this critical area of public health. NAHDAP will be led by Dr. Amy Pienta, who also serves as ICPSR's Director of Acquisitions. NAHDAP acquires, preserves, and disseminates data on HIV and drug addiction to encourage social and behavioral research on major issues affecting public policy.

More Data on Student Athletes

The NCAA Student-Athlete Experiences Data Archive has updated its data on Division I Academic Progress Rates. The dataset, NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate, 2011, now includes the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons. The data contains team level academic performances available by division, by conference, and by school.

Summer Receptions in Las Vegas and Seattle - You're Invited!

In celebration of our forthcoming 50th year in data management, you are cordially invited to our ICPSR receptions held during the American Sociological Association meeting in Las Vegas on August 21, 2011, and during American Political Science Association meeting in Seattle on September 2, 2011. Click on the links for more details on time and location and to register to attend.