[ICPSR] Announcement of 2009 ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Research

ICPSR Summer Program ICPSRSummerProgram at isr.umich.edu
Tue Feb 24 14:01:41 EST 2009

The Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research
(ICPSR) is pleased to announce the 2009 Summer Program in Quantitative
Methods of Social Research.

As many subscribers to this list already know, the main component of the
ICPSR Summer Program is held on the campus of the University of
Michigan, in Ann Arbor. Lectures and workshops on a wide variety of
topics in research design, quantitative reasoning, statistical methods,
and data processing are presented in two four-week sessions. The first
session runs from June 22, 2009 until July 17, 2009. The second session
runs from July 20, 2009 until August 14, 2009. The contents of the two
sessions are largely independent of each other, although some
second-session workshops do assume that participants are familiar with
material from first-session courses.

The 2009 ICPSR Summer Program will also offer a number of three- to
five-day workshops on both statistical and substantive topics throughout
the summer. These shorter workshops are held in a variety of locations:
Amherst, MA; Ann Arbor, MI; Bloomington, IN; Chapel Hill, NC; and New
Haven, CT.

We are currently accepting applications for all of our courses. The
application form, registration instructions, fee structure, and further
information about the ICPSR Summer Program are all available on our web
site:

     http://icpsr.umich.edu/sumprog/

Please feel free to e-mail us with any further questions at:
sumprog at icpsr.umich.edu

The complete course list for the 2009 ICPSR Summer Program is provided
below. We would like to draw your attention to several new and revised
features in this year's Program. First, we would like to mention several
new statistical courses: A five-day workshop on "Empirical Models for
Time-Series Cross-Section Data," another five-day workshop on
"Multilevel Models for Longitudinal Data using SAS," a workshop during
the first four-week session on "Introduction to Programming with R," and
workshops during the second-four week session on "Complex Systems Models
in the Social Sciences," "Causal Inference for the Social Sciences," and
"Longitudinal Analysis of Historical Demographic Data."  Second, we have
expanded our offerings in the field of network analysis. There are two
introductory workshops (a three-day course held in Amherst, MA and a
five-day course in Chapel Hill, NC), a five-day workshop on theory and
methods of network analysis (held in Bloomington, IN), and two more
advanced workshops ("Network Analysis: An Accelerated Introduction" and
"Network Analysis: A Second Course"). Third, we are offering two
sections of the popular workshop, "Hierarchical Linear Models I:
Introduction." One will be held in Amherst, MA and and the other will be
in Bloomington, IN. Finally, there are several innovations in the Hubert
M. Blalock Lecture Series in Advanced Methods of Social Research, such
as an expanded, two-week, series of lectures on "Data Mining" and a
series of three lectures on "New Strategies for Regression Anaysis:
Dimension Reduction and Inverse Regression." By introducing these new
courses, we are responding to the expressed interests of the social
scientific research community, and providing coverage of statistical
procedures that are receiving increasing attention within methodological
circles.

                                         2009 ICPSR SUMMER PROGRAM
COURSE LIST

All classes are held in Ann Arbor, MI, unless otherwise noted.

      First Four-Week Session (June 22-July 17, 2009):

            Lectures:

                  Mathematics for Social Scientists, I

                  Mathematics for Social Scientists, II

                  Introduction to Computing

                  Introduction to the R Statistical Computing
Environment

            Workshops:

                  Quantitative Historical Analysis

                  Maximum Likelihood for Generalized Linear Models

                  Introduction to Game Theory

                  Advanced Game Theory

                  Methodological Issues in Quantitative Research on Race
and Ethnicity

                  Quantitative Analysis of Crime and Criminal Justice

                  Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis, I

                  Regression Analysis I: Introduction

                  Regression Analysis II: Linear Models

                  Regression Analysis III: Advanced Methods

                  Introduction to Applied Bayesian Modeling for the
Social Sciences

                  Scaling and Dimensional Analysis

                  Rational Choice Theories of Politics and Society

                  Introduction to Programming in R

      Second Four-Week Session (July 20-August 14, 2009):

            Lectures:

                  Introduction to Computing

                  Introductory/Review Lectures on Matrix Algebra

            Workshops:

                  Categorical Data Analysis

                  Causal Inference for the Social Sciences

Complex Systems Models in the Social Sciences

                  Longitudinal Analysis of Historical Demographic Data

                  Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis, II

                  Regression Analysis II: Linear Models

                  Longitudinal Analysis

                  Advanced Topics in Maximum Likelihood Estimation

                  Time Series Analysis

                  Advanced Bayesian Models for the Social Sciences

                  Simultaneous Equation Models

                  Advanced Multivariate Statistical Methods

                  Structural Equation Models with Latent Variables

The Hubert M. Blalock Lecture Series in Advanced Methods of Social
Research (Preliminary List of Topics):

                  Data Mining

                  Statistical Graphics for Visualizing Data

                  New Strategies for Regression Analysis: Dimension
Reduction and Inverse Regression

                  Missing Data: Statistical Analysis of Data with
Incomplete Observations

      Three- to Five-Day Statistical Workshops:

                  Network Analysis: An Accelerated Introduction (April
17-19)

                  Network Analysis: A Second Course (May 10-13)

                  Empirical Models for Time-Series Cross-Section Data
(May 18-22)

                  Hierarchical Linear Models I: Introduction (June 1-5,
Amherst, MA)

                  Introduction to Spatial Regression Analysis (June 1-5)

                  Introduction to Applied Bayesian Statistics for Social
Scientists (June 8-12, Chapel Hill, NC)

                  Analyzing Developmental Trajectories (June 15-18,
Amherst, MA)

Categorical Data Analysis: Models for Binary, Ordinal, Nominal, and
Count Outcomes (June 15-19)

                  Multilevel Models for Longitudinal Data using SAS
(June 22-26, Chapel Hill, NC)

                  Panel Data Analysis Using Stata (June 29-July 3)

                  Hierarchical Linear Models II: Special Topics (July
6-9)

                  Network Analysis: Theory and Methods (July 6-10,
Bloomington, IN)

Latent Trajectory/Growth Curve Analysis: A Structural Equation Modeling
Approach (July 6-10, Chapel Hill, NC)

                  Introduction to Social Network Analysis (July 13-15,
Amherst, MA)

                  Structural Equation Models and Latent Variables: An
Introduction (July 20-24)

                  Designing, Conducting, and Analyzing Field Experiments
(July 29-31, New Haven, CT)

                  Social Network Analysis: An Introduction (August 3-7,
Chapel Hill, NC)

                  Hierarchical Linear Models I: Introduction (August
10-14, Bloomington, IN)

                  Analyzing Multilevel and Mixed Models Using Stata
(August 17-21)

            Three- to Five-Day Substantive Workshops:

                  Using National Juvenile Corrections Data Files:
1997-2006 (June 1-3)

                  Dyadic Data Analysis: Models and Methods for the Study
of Couples (June 15-17)

                  American Community Survey (June 15-19)

                  Examining Quality in Publicly Supported Early
Childhood Programs (July 13-16)

                  Using Secondary Data for Analysis of Marriage and
Family (June 18-19)

                  NICHD Study of Early Childhood and Youth Development
Survey (July 8-10)

Documenting Data Using DDI 3.0: Supporting Research, Collection
Management, and Access (July 13-16, Ithaca, NY)

                  Sentencing and Other Federal Case Data Analysis (July
20-23)

                  Protecting Against Disclosure Risk in Shared Research
Data Files (July 27-30)