[ICPSR Announcements] A Fall Welcome Message from ICPSR

List for people who wish to receive ICPSR announcements icpsr-announce at icpsr.umich.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:34:19 EDT 2008

Welcome!

As the new academic season begins to take shape and you settle into your
fall schedule, ICPSR would like to welcome you to the 2008/2009 academic
year!  We have a number of initiatives (new and old) to share that are
summarized below.

Save the Date: OR Meeting 2009

The OR Meeting will be held October 8-10, 2009, in Ann Arbor.  The
session content for this meeting is being designed for a more
interactive experience enabling attendees to actively engage in the
session.  Per OR request, our approach will combine providing
information with training on its use.  The OR Meeting/registration site
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/ICPSR/or/ormeet/index.html>  will begin to
be updated soon, but first, watch for an OR survey that enables you to
comment on possible program content in early October 2008!  And, don't
forget to budget for this training and networking opportunity!

Increased Communication with our Community

In an effort to increase communications with our local representatives
and the data user community, ICPSR is undertaking several initiatives
designed to increase communication without overburdening.

OR Blog - "Staff's Corner"

Launched in September, 2007, the blog is for Official Representatives,
Designated Representatives, Individual and Federated members alike.  To
date, use of the blog has been minimal.  In an effort to invigorate the
blog, ICPSR staff will begin posting content important to the OR/DR
community and its data users in hopes that those who have had
experiences with the tools or resources will provide guidance to those
who have posted questions.  The first staff post will be on October 1st.
In the meantime, see OR Blog FAQs
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/cocoon/ICPSR/FAQ/0243.xml>  for more
information or The OR Blog <http://community.livejournal.com/ormeeting/>
to set up an account and participate.

Webinars are Coming Soon!

ORs, DRs, and data users have asked for training on many of our
resources.  Since travel budgets prohibit ICPSR from making personal
campus visits of any quantity, ICPSR has just subscribed to GoToWebinar
<https://www1.gotomeeting.com/tgw/gg/webinars/g2w_semlp?Portal=www.gotow
ebinar.com&Target=w/g2w_semlp.tmpl>  and is working on a calendar of
webinars in the coming months.  Watch for an announcement soon, and in
the meantime, if there is a topic you would like to see presented via a
webinar, contact Linda <mailto:lindamd at umich.edu>  or why not discuss
the topic among yourselves on the OR Blog?

Green Newsletters

Future content like that in this letter will be packaged in a
well-organized and easy-to-read electronic newsletter made available
quarterly.  More to come in early 2009!

Undergraduate Research Paper & Internship Program

ICPSR is accepting submissions for the 2009 Undergraduate Research Paper
Competition <http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/ICPSR/prize/> .  The submission
deadline has been extended to May 31 to accommodate senior projects.
ICPSR will also be continuing its Undergraduate Internship Program
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/ICPSR/careers/internship.html> .  While
these opportunities seem far away, we encourage you to send reminders
now such that students and their faculty can begin familiarizing
themselves with the application guidelines and deadlines.

Invoices are Due

Invoices (issued in June) for membership fees for the 2008/2009 fiscal
year are now due.  If you have questions or need an electronic copy of
your invoice, please contact Sue Hodge <mailto:shodge at umich.edu> .

Not Just for ORs/DRs Anymore!

After continuous requests to open up the OR listserv to others in the
ICPSR community, we created several ICPSR-managed email lists
<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/ICPSR/org/lists/index.html> .  Do you have
other faculty, librarians, researchers, or other data users who desire
to receive the latest updates on our resources?  Send them to our email
lists page where they can quickly sign-up to receive the latest
information.

On behalf of the ICPSR staff, best wishes for the coming year!

Linda

Linda Detterman

Marketing & Membership Director

ICPSR