[Eurobarometer] FW: 08092A Decision Letter

Meinhard Moschner meinhard.moschner at gesis.org
Fri Jun 6 03:16:42 EDT 2008

Dear Mr. Legge,
a general description of the sampling procedure in the case of
Eurobarometer 64.3 is attached to the corresponding basic questionnaire
that we distribute, for the whole series it has been summarized on our
website
(http://www.gesis.org/en/data_service/eurobarometer/standard_eb/fieldwork.htm).
The fieldwork institutes are tracking effective contacts, number of
refusals and stopped/interrupted interviews, completed interviews
(should be about 1000) and they calculate response rates by country
accordingly. Unfortunately the results are not published by the European
Commission, except the number of realised interviews. To my experience
this does no means imply, that response rates would on average be worse
than for comparable surveys in the respective countries. Eurobarometer
are conducted by prestigious institutes which compete with others also
regarding data quality. Nevertheless, I completely understand and by
principle even support the position of your journal editor. You might
want to contact the European Commission's Eurobarometer unit in regard
(http://www.gesis.org/en/data_service/eurobarometer/staff/ec_ebunit.htm).
Sorry for not being in a position to give you a more satisfying answer
With kind regards
Meinhard Moschner

GESIS-ZA
Central Archive for Empirical Social Research
Meinhard Moschner
meinhard.moschner at gesis.org
Tel. ++49 +221 47694 21
Fax. ++49 +221 47694 44
For more information on EUROBAROMETER please see:
http://www.gesis.org/eurobarometer