[EB] Missing Dutch Liberals 1988

Frank Aarebrot frank.aarebrot at isp.uib.no
Wed Jul 26 09:45:16 EDT 2000

Hi,

I'm a bit confused at your query. The party "Venstre" is not the name of the Dutch leberal party, but of the Norwegian Party. It is also the name of a major Danish party which is sometimes classified as a Liberal and sometimes as an Agrarian party.

Moreover it is not clear what party should be classified as "liberal" in the Dutch system. Historically, the party VVD represents the old liberal tradition, but in the absence of a Conservative Party, many Dutch analysts would probably classify the VVD as playing the role as a modern Conservative - pro market - party which is also Secular. (The CDA playing the role of a conservative and religious party,) The party which plays the "liberal" role of a secular centrist party today is probably D66 (Democrats 66).

Basically, I would need to know exactly which Dutch party you refer to, from EB.

Regards

Frank Aarebrot