[EB] Spring Seminar 2000 at the Central Archive in Cologne

Markus Klein klein at za.uni-koeln.de
Tue Sep 7 07:04:52 EDT 1999

Dear members of the Eurobarometer Mailing List

Below please find the announcement of the forthcoming ZA spring
seminar which will be held 13 - 31 March 2000 in Cologne. We
hope that the programme is of interest to you and we would be happy to
see you again.

If you are interested in a poster for your notice-board please let us
know. We will be pleased to send you one (or more) by ordinary mail.

Causal Analysis with Latent Variables
29th Spring Seminar at the Zentralarchiv
13 - 31 March 2000

The spring seminar is a training course for social scientists
interested in advanced techniques of data analysis and in the
application of these techniques to data. Participants must have a
sound basic knowledge of statistics as well as experience in the
handling of PCs and of working with SPSS. The spring seminar comprises
lectures, exercises and practical work using personal computers. While
in the lectures the logic of models and the corresponding analysis
strategies will be explained, during the exercises and in the
practical work the participants are given the opportunity to apply
these methods to data. In the course of the spring seminar there is
also the possibility to get to know the functions and services of the
Zentralarchiv which is the German data archive for survey data. As in
the past spring seminars, the focus will be on teaching multivariate
analysis techniques, this time it will be the causal analysis with
latent variables.

The seminar covers three modules of one week each, to some extent
based upon one another, which can be booked either separately or as a
block: Causal Analysis with Metric Data, Causal Analysis with Ordinal
Data, Categorical Latent Variable Models. A more detailed description
of  next year's spring seminar will appear in the November issue of
ZA-Information. The lectures will be given in English by:

PD Dr. Jost Reinecke
Universitaet Muenster
Causal Analysis with Metric Data
13 - 17 March 2000

Professor Dr. Steffen Kuehnel
Universitaet Giessen
Causal Analysis with Ordinal Data
20 - 24 March 2000

Professor Jacques A. P. Hagenaars
Tilburg University
Categorical Latent Variable Models
27 - 31 March 2000

The participation fee is 100,-- DM per week. Students and social
scientists out of work are entitled to a 50 % reduction if they hand
in an attestation of their status together with their registration.
Participants from Germany might be interested to learn that the spring
seminar is recognized as "Bildungsurlaub" and application forms to the
employer can be requested from the Zentralarchiv. Travelling and
accommodation have to be organized and paid by the participants.

A limited number of bursaries is available to cover travel and
subsistence costs for participants from EU countries (except Germans
located in Germany). Please check our Web pages (http://www.za.
koeln.de/eurolab) for the conditions or contact Ingvill Oedegaard
(oedegaard at za.uni-koeln.de) for further information.

For your registration please use the registration form which you can
either find in our newsletter ZA-Information 44 or on our web pages
(see below). The number of participants is limited to 40 participants
per week. Participants will be accepted by order of application date.
Therefore we recommend to register as soon as possible. Final
registration deadline is 31 January 2000.

Zentralarchiv fuer Empirische Sozialforschung, Universitaet zu Koeln,
Bachemer Str. 40, D-50931 Koeln. Tel. +49-221-4769433 (secretariat
Frau Priemer) or +49-221-4703157 (Markus Klein), Facsimile:
+49-221-4769444, e-mail: klein at za.uni-koeln.de. The Zentralarchiv WWW
Server provides you with up-to-date information on the spring seminar
and other forthcoming events (http://www.za.uni-koeln.de/events/).

Sincerely yours,

Markus Klein

Dipl.-Volkswirt Markus Klein M.A.
Zentralarchiv fuer Empirische Sozialforschung
der Universitaet zu Koeln
Postfach 41 09 60, 50869 Koeln
Tel. 0221 / 4769432 oder 4703157
Fax. 0221 / 4769444
Sekretariat Frau Priemer:
Tel. 0221 / 4769433 oder 4703155
E-Mail: klein at za.uni-koeln.de
        klein at wiso-r610.wiso.uni-koeln.de
Privat: Takustr.95, 50825 Koeln, 0221 / 5502119