[EB] Bounced messages

Peter Granda peterg at icpsr.umich.edu
Wed Dec 17 11:00:12 EST 1997

         Apologies for any inconvenience caused to you by the bounced email
message that invaded our mailboxes yesterday.  We corrected the offending
email address as soon as we saw the problem it had created, but by then our
mailer had already posted numerous copies to list subscribers.

         During the life of this list, we have removed dozens of incorrect
email addresses and have not encountered any problem with error messages
being sent to the whole list.  Mailers which receive incorrect addresses
normally respond only to the OWNER of the list, but the University of
Marburg mailer responded by addressing its error message to the entire
list.  Our mailer then passed this message, as it does all messages
addressed to 'eurobarometer at icpsr.umich.edu', along to all of you.  We have
taken steps to make this less likely to happen in the future.  One other
possibility: the Eurobarometer list has not been "moderated" but this is an
option we can invoke to prevent any further occurrences.

         Let me echo my friend Meinhard Moschner and wish all of you happy
holidays.

Thank you,
Peter Granda
ICPSR

P.S.     The address for this mailing list is
eurobarometer at icpsr.umich.edu.
the text

subscribe EUROBAROMETER