[DDI-users] IASSIST 2019 CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Jared Lyle lyle at umich.edu
Fri Sep 28 11:03:34 EDT 2018

*IASSIST 2019 CALL FOR PROPOSALS*

Conference website: https://www.iassist2019.org/

Conference hashtag: #IASSIST19

The 45th annual conference of the International Association for Social
Science Information Services and Technology (IASSIST
<http://iassistdata.org/>) will be held in Sydney, Australia from May 27 to
31, 2019.

*Data Down Under: Exploring “Data Firsts”*

This IASSIST conference is about a lot of “firsts.” This is the first time
the IASSIST conference has been hosted in the Southern Hemisphere, and it’s
the first to be held in Winter since the very first one in February 1977.
Why not share with us your “firsts”? What new and novel projects are you
working on? What worked or didn’t work on your first attempt, and what have
you learned from that experience?

However, there are a lot of ways to explore “data firsts.” As data
professionals, we also *put *data first; however, in today’s climate, where
increasing amounts of misinformation are being widely spread via the
internet and social media without facts and data to back it up, not
everyone shares our values. So how can we educate and advocate to bring
“data first” back into the minds of our students, researchers, funders,
etc.? How do we share our love of data and its importance as a valuable
asset to a library collection or archive?

We welcome submissions that share ways in which our IASSIST community is
putting “data first” and experiencing “firsts.” Some examples could be your
experiences:

·       Addressing issues around data policies, privacy, and ethics

·       Advocating the importance of archiving and preserving data in a
climate of misinformation

·       Analyzing and visualizing data in new and novel ways to gain
original insights into data

·       Data as numbers, pictures, words, and sounds

·       Exploring data across subject areas and geographic regions

·       Partnering with researchers and data producers to enhance sharing,
reproducibility and long term access

·       Promoting data as valuable assets to a library or archive collection

·       Strategic collaborations to put data first

·       Teaching data literacy skills, emphasizing the value of a solid
foundation, where facts and data support an argument

We want to hear about putting “data first” from all perspectives, from
theory to application and what tools you used to get there. Suggestions on
how attendees can take these ideas back and integrate them into their own
practice are encouraged.

So please send us your “data firsts”!

*Submitting Proposals - **DEADLINE**: November 1, 2018*

We welcome submissions for papers, presentations, panels, posters, and
lightning talks.

The Call for Presentations, along with the link to the submission form, is
on the conference website:

https://www.iassist2019.org/2018/09/19/call-for-proposals-presentations/

Questions about presentation submissions may be sent to the Program
Co-Chairs (Bobray Bordelon, Ashley Jester, and Kelly Schultz) at
iassist2019 at lists.iassistdata.org.

We are also accepting submissions for Pre-conference Workshops. The Call
for Workshops, along with the link to the submission form, is at:

https://www.iassist2019.org/2018/09/19/call-for-proposals-workshops/

Questions about workshop submissions may be sent to the Workshop
Coordinators, Eimmy Solis and Stephanie Labou, at workshops at lists.
iassistdata.org.

*Deadline for ALL submissions: November 1, 2018*

*Notification of acceptance: Mid-December 2018*

*Support for Attending Conference*

IASSIST Fellows Program supports data professionals from underrepresented
regions and countries with emerging economies. IASSIST Early Professional
Fellows Program helps early career data professionals recognizing the value
of innovative ideas. Applications can be made at https://goo.gl/forms/yttyvL
UetnheZH5Z2 and will close December 23, 2018.

Address questions about the Fellows Programs to Florio Arguillas (
foa2 at cornell.edu).