[DDI-users] Review of Q2 2016 Development Draft of DDI 4

Jared Lyle lyle at umich.edu
Mon Oct 17 08:03:38 EDT 2016

Dear DDI Community,

The DDI Alliance is pleased to announce the Q2 2016 Development Draft of
DDI Views, sometimes called DDI4. The comment period for the Q2 Draft is
now open. Information on the review process is available from the DDI4 -
Comment and Review page
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DDI4/DDI+4+-+Comment+and+Review>,
which contains a link to comment instructions and to the release package
itself (see the box labeled Current Review in the middle of the page).

DDI is transitioning to a model-driven specification to support new content
and domains, to provide needed flexibility in rendering and packaging, and
to ensure a sustainable development process for DDI going forward. The
model will enable use-case driven "functional views" of the full model so
that prospective DDI users can receive only the subset of DDI classes they
need for a specific task or function (e.g., create a simple codebook). The
transition also includes moving to a fully automated production framework
to create the specification, bindings, and documentation. More information
about the DDI work products
<http://www.ddialliance.org/about/work-products-of-ddi-alliance> and how
they all fit together is available.

This release is one of several iterative releases, each of which builds on
previous releases. The Q2 Draft includes the class descriptions and
diagrams for several of the basic parts of the model, XML Bindings, and
high level documentation. We are currently working out issues with the
RDF/OWL implementation.

We are eager to obtain feedback from the DDI community in order to improve
what we have and to validate our approach. The comment period is open until
December 31, 2016, and we hope to hear from you.

Jared

Jared Lyle
Director, DDI Alliance
ICPSR, University of Michigan