[DDI-users] Potential bug with ValueRepresentationReference

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:57:09 EST 2015

Hi Sam,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I wanted to check this out
before replying off the top of my head. My son informs me that I should
take nothing from the top of my head as it will only make me shorter :-)

Ok. Represented Variable and Variable/VariableRepresentation use a choice
of ValueRepresentation or ValueRepresentationReference. A
ValueRepresentation is an inline description of any of the following
substitutions:

TextRepresentation
DateTimeRepresentation
NumericRepresentation
ExternalCategoryRepresenation
CodeRepresentation
ScaleRepresentation
GeographicStructureCodeRepresentation
GeographicLocationCodeRepresentation

The following can also be included by reference as they are managed objects:

TextRepresentation
DateTimeRepresentation
NumericRepresentation
ScaleRepresentation

Why, you may ask, just these four? Good question, it was part of a
compromise solution to requiring people to manage ALL of their
representation types and yet allowing them to manage some of them. We
agreed to drop those that were already maintained and referenced by their
representation type. So CodeList is maintained and CodeRepresentation is
not. We realize that it means you have to replicate aanyCodeList subsetting
you do when defining a CodeRepresentation, but there it is.

CategorySchemeReference was added as an additional choice in
RepresentedVariable to allow for defining a categorization without an
associated CodeList (this is not an allowed use in a Variable).

Given the modeling base of DDI 4 all representations will be identified
objects and therefore this dichotomy will go away.

Hope this clarifies things.

Wendy

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Samuel Spencer <theodore.therone at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at ways to represent 11179 objects in DDI, specifically Value
> Domains.
>
> I was pointed towards the ValueRepresentation class and think I have found
> a bug.
>
> ValueRepresentationReference[1] doesn't define a
> CodeValueRepresentationReference, which I think makes pointing to
> a CodeValueRepresentation[2] not semantically possible?
>
> But additional to this, neither the CodeValueRepresentation or the
> abstract ValueRepresentation[3] are identifiable which makes referring to
> them impossible. Meaning the only way to include them is inline within a
> RepresentedVariable or a VariableRepresentation[5] (which itself is
> non-identifiable and can only exist within a Variable[6].
>
> Cheers,
> Sam.
>
> 1.
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/reusable_xsd/elements/ValueRepresentationReference.html
> 2.
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/reusable_xsd/elements/CodeRepresentation.html
> 3.
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/reusable_xsd/elements/ValueRepresentation.html
> 4.
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/logicalproduct_xsd/elements/RepresentedVariable.html
> 5.
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/logicalproduct_xsd/elements/VariableRepresentation.html
> 6.
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-Lifecycle/3.2/XMLSchema/FieldLevelDocumentation/schemas/logicalproduct_xsd/elements/Variable.html

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South