[DDI-users] QuestionGrid and InParameter/@limitArrayIndex in DDI 3.2

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Mon Dec 14 09:38:09 EST 2015

Any InParameter or OutParameter can indicate that it is an array.

An InParameter can also state that if this is an array it may only accept a
certain item or range in the array as its content. So if I get an array
response from a QuestionGrid I could specify which items in the array I
needed. For example if the grid asked for the number of employees and
Wage/Salary, I could specify just the items in the array providing the
number of employees for use in a generation instruction. In the same way a
Variable that is repeated for each person in the family could assign the
InParameter of the Variable to be only the 0 position of the array for
person 1, 1 position for person 2, etc. (assuming a zero based array).

Wendy

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Wackerow, Joachim <
Joachim.Wackerow at gesis.org> wrote:

> This is a DDI 3.2 question.
>

> I’m wondering how the attribute limitArrayIndex can be used with multiple
> tokens. What is the purpose of this? How is the order of the tokens related
> to a complex QuestionGrid?
>

> Background
>
> ---
>
> In general:
>
> QuestionGrid can have an OutParameter. This can be bound to an InParameter
> of a Command of a GenerationInstruction.
>

> The simple case:
>
> One line in a QuestionGrid represents one question which results in one
> variable. A single value could be bound by InParameter/@limitArrayIndex [0]
> which would be the result of the first line;
> InParameter/@limitArrayIndex[1] the result of the second line etc.
>

> Some complex cases:
>
> One line in a QuestionGrid represents multiple questions and results in
> multiple variables.
>
> One line in a QuestionGrid represents one question where multiple answers
> are allowed. The result can be a computed variable on the basis of the
> multiple answers or can be multiple variables.
>
> ---
>

> I thought it is possible to use single values of the array by defining
> multiple bindings for the above mentioned QuestionGrids. What is then the
> purpose of multiple tokens of limitArrayIndex? Is it related to the use
> with this kind of QuestionGrids?
>

> The documentation of limitArrayIndex says only:
>
> “When the InParameter represents an array of items, this attribute
> specifies the index identification of the items within the zero-based array
> which should be treated as input parameters. If not specified, the full
> array is treated as the input parameter.”
>

> Any comment appreciated.
>

> Achim

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South