[DDI-users] Questions related to QuestionGrid

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Fri Nov 21 11:16:27 EST 2014

Below

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Wackerow, Joachim <
Joachim.Wackerow at gesis.org> wrote:

>  Wendy
>

> Thank you for the quick answer.
>

> I have still a couple of comments and questions, see below.
>

> Achim

I happened to be on the Data Capture call today as they needed a convener.
We talked about this a bit as well as issues of differentiating within a
question text what is "introductory" but necessary to the question and what
is the "inquiry". As to the above, if each line is an understandable
question in itself then my assumption is that this is a sequence of
question items. If they are understandable questions then are they really
bound by a common single question or an instruction to say rate them on a
scale or something like that.

If the "questions" are really specifications of a single question that is
required to make sense then in 3.2 they should be a grid, using the
codelist with categories to specify. The first case above (real
understandable questions) should really be done as sequences in both 3.1
and 3.2 as the MultipleQuestionItem in 3.1 was designed to handle only very
simple girds, not as a means of bundling (sequencing) questions. Of course
people used it however they wished.

>    3. Reuse of QuestionGrid
>
> How can QuestionGrids be reused and a question number be assigned to each
> individual question (in a row)?
>

> Once again, the same way any question is reused. The path of the data can
> be defined by In Out parameters, a Generation Instruction and a Variable
> defining the binding between the out parameter of the question construct
> and the in parameter of the instruction.
>

> 4. Alternative to QuestionGrid
>
> In the use case (mentioned below), a QuestionGroup could be another
> option. Then the issues 1-3 from above can be solved. The semantics are a
> little different.
>
> A workaround could be to use a QuestionGrid which refers by BasedOnObject
> to the QuestionGroup.
>

> Question Groups are administrative objects and cannot be used as the
> content of a QuestionConstruct.
>
> *[JW] OK. How can then MultipleQuestionItem (3.1) be replaced beside with
> QuestionGrid*
>

> If its was used only to bundle questions in a sequence then it should be
handled as a sequence. This was, in fact, raised during the meetings
discussing the new question structures which included ABS, INSEE, and
others. The answer then as now is that the sequencing of questions has
always been expressed as the control construct Sequence.

>  5. Dimensions in a grid
>
> I looked at the example (slide 14, 15) in the EDDI13 presentation “To 3.2
> or Not to 3.2? That is the Question” at
> http://www.eddi-conferences.eu/ocs/index.php/eddi/EDDI13/paper/view/117.
>
> The slide can show only a XML fragment. Now I’m wondering how “Older than
> Patient” and “Younger than patient” are realized, when “Number still alive”
> would be rank 1 (is rank 2 not the appropriate solution?).
>

> Related question: How can it be described when one dimension has a
> different type of response domain than the grid? A GridDimension can have
> only a CodeDomain.
>
> *[JW] Sorry, I made apparently two topics with (5). Do you have comments
> on this?*
>
> The CodeDomain represents the content of the dimension in the same way
that a variable is used to describe an NCube dimension. The actual
response. Actual response domains for the data captured can be assigned to
individual cells in the grid so that I can collect multiple types of data
from a single grid (code, numeric, text, etc.). I'm sure I have examples
from INSEE but I'm on vacation today so I'll have to dig them out later.