[DDI-users] detect DDI version

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Mon Jun 23 11:58:57 EDT 2014

It part of the declaration
Note all xmlns mappings are to specific versions (in this 3.1)

<DDIInstance xmlns="ddi:instance:3_1" xmlns:a="ddi:archive:3_1"
xmlns:c="ddi:conceptualcomponent:3_1" xmlns:d="ddi:datacollection:3_1"
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:dce="ddi:dcelements:3_1"
xmlns:l="ddi:logicalproduct:3_1"
             xmlns:p="ddi:physicaldataproduct:3_1"
xmlns:pi="ddi:physicalinstance:3_1" xmlns:r="ddi:reusable:3_1"
xmlns:s="ddi:studyunit:3_1" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
             agency="us.mpc" id="turkstat" isMaintainable="true"
isPublished="false" version="1.0.0" versionDate="2011-04-20"
xsi:schemaLocation="ddi:instance:3_1 instance.xsd">

The references to the schema location should also indicate the version
number for pre-2.5 versions of DDI-Codebook
schemaLocation="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/Version1-2-2.xsd"

The schema naming convention changed in 2.5 to "codebook.xsd" however they
should still be declaring a version number in the codebook element.  For
Example: version="1.2.2"

Wendy

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Adrian Dușa <dusa.adrian at unibuc.ro> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As part of another project, I am now trying to develop a series of R
> functions to read, update and produce XML DDI files, plus setup files
> accompanied by ASCII data files to convert between various statistical
> software.
>
> The package is soon to be submitted to CRAN, open source and GPL.
>
> Quick question: if a user provides a DDI XML file, is there an easy way to
> detect it's DDI version?
>  I could of course check for various XML entries, specific to each
> version, but maybe there is a way to detect that in the XML header or
> something like that.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hint,
> Adrian
>
> --
> Adrian Dusa
> University of Bucharest
> Romanian Social Data Archive
> 1, Schitu Magureanu Bd.
> 050025 Bucharest sector 5
> Romania
> Tel.:+40 21 3126618 \
>         +40 21 3120210 / int.101
> Fax: +40 21 3158391

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South