[DDI-users] converting from DDI 2

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Sun Dec 21 13:50:52 EST 2014

All,

Mary has sent me the URN for a listing of various mappings. I'm sharing the
gift...

http://www.ddialliance.org/metadata-resources

Wendy

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Libbie Stephenson <
libbiesarchive at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> this is a really low-level inquiry.  We have been using DDI 2 for some
> time because most of our files are legacy files with just one simple
> dataset and codebook.  We've been using Colectica for Excel recently.  Now
> we want to begin to work with DDI life cycle.
>
> We have spent a lot of time with the legacy to life-cycle chart and now
> our eyes are crossed. We have reviewed the working papers and we know what
> kind of information we want to record.
>
> What we really want is to be able to have a list of the tags we currently
> use and have something that will show us exactly where they are used in
> live-cycle.  We are using Colectica Designer to move the DDI legacy XML
> over.  We have spent a lot of time with the items on this page:
> http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/ and with a conversion tool but
> none of them provide what we want to see.
>
> Also, the DDI site has numerous broken links or pages simply will not
> load.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way that we can more easily see the ways that our
> current use of DDI legacy would map into DDI life-cycle?
>
> --
> Libbie Stephenson, Director
> UCLA Social Science Data Archive
> University of California, Los Angeles
> Box 951484
> Los Angeles, CA. 90095-1484
> 310-825-0716
> libbie at ucla.edu
> http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/issr/da
>
> …[L]arge efforts are generally plagued by stupidity, error and corruption.
> But by the sheer act of stumbling forward, it’s possible, sometimes, to
> achieve important things. David Brooks, NY Times
>
> When I was young and naïve, I believed that important people took
> positions based on careful consideration of the options. Now I know better.
> Paul Krugman, NY Times

Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South