[DDI-users] converting from DDI 2

Libbie Stephenson libbiesarchive at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:36:28 EST 2014

Hello,
this is a really low-level inquiry.  We have been using DDI 2 for some time
because most of our files are legacy files with just one simple dataset and
codebook.  We've been using Colectica for Excel recently.  Now we want to
begin to work with DDI life cycle.

We have spent a lot of time with the legacy to life-cycle chart and now our
eyes are crossed. We have reviewed the working papers and we know what kind
of information we want to record.

What we really want is to be able to have a list of the tags we currently
use and have something that will show us exactly where they are used in
live-cycle.  We are using Colectica Designer to move the DDI legacy XML
over.  We have spent a lot of time with the items on this page:
http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/ and with a conversion tool but
none of them provide what we want to see.

Also, the DDI site has numerous broken links or pages simply will not load.

Can anyone suggest a way that we can more easily see the ways that our
current use of DDI legacy would map into DDI life-cycle?

--
Libbie Stephenson, Director
UCLA Social Science Data Archive
libbie at ucla.edu
http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/issr/da

…[L]arge efforts are generally plagued by stupidity, error and corruption.
But by the sheer act of stumbling forward, it’s possible, sometimes, to
achieve important things. David Brooks, NY Times

When I was young and naïve, I believed that important people took positions
based on careful consideration of the options. Now I know better. Paul
Krugman, NY Times