[DDI-users] Data Element Discussion - Mantis Issue 543 and related

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Thu Mar 14 21:07:02 EDT 2013

Dear Dan G. Al, Heather, Arofan, Jeremy, Dan, Tim, Heather, and Sophia,

As a follow-up to the earlier documents trying to frame the issues
around DataElement I have read through the new edition of
ISO/IEC11179-3:2012(E) and provided a proposal for reworking
DataElement. While I don't think this is its final form, I thought
that having something concrete to react to would be useful. Please see
the new documents attached to Mantis Issue 543.

DataElementProposal_20130312.docx discribes the reasoning behind the
outline of the proposed structure
DataElementProposal.txt is a draft of an XML schema representation
(note I realize there are some style issue in this rendering..its
primarily to provide a draft to work with)

The workplan is as follows:

Provide feedback via email over the next week.
Identify at the end of that time if we need a conference call. If so
set one up for the following week.

Please note that many of us are involved in NADDI the first week of
April. As we have other issue areas that many of you are also
interested in I am hoping to get this one moving along. The intent is
not to cut short discussion, but to allow us to focus on a topic at a
time. I appreciate your attention to this. Hope to hear responses over
the next week.

Primary questions to answer include:

Does this address the issues identified in the document provided earlier?
Is it compliant with ISO/IEC 11179-3:2012(E)?
Does it meet the needs of DDI?
Is it overkill?

I expect a lively discussion :-)

Wendy