[DDI-users] [DDI-SRG] ISSUE 602

Jeremy Iverson jeremy at colectica.com
Sun Jun 2 10:36:02 EDT 2013

Hi Wendy,

Where is the Content element where you can specify the language? I only
see this structure, which uses xs:anyType for the Text, not Content.
Content is used for Description, but that is not actually the question
text, it is a description of the question text.

   QuestionItem
     QuestionText
       LiteralText
         Description
           Content
         Text
           xs:anyType
       ConditionalText

If Text become TextType as you note, this would allow the language to be
specified at the segment level. However, if the language is only
specified for each segment, it is impossible to know the actual language
of the question: is it the language of the first segment, or the one
with the most words, or something else? Those are not precise. Putting
the language on QuestionText let's us be explicit.

If I am asking the question in English and happen to use a single German
word, is it really necessary to document the fact that the single word
is German? This seems like overkill, but if somebody has raised this as
a use case I'd be curious to find out more.

I am not sure I understand the idea behind the Description, either.
Would a Description on the QuestionItem be more appropriate, rather than
having a Description of each segment of a question's text?

Thanks,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Iverson