[DDI-users] Fwd: preview of quality email informational content

Wendy Thomas wlt at umn.edu
Mon Apr 22 16:19:56 EDT 2013

QUALITY discussion:

If you wish to be included in meeting on this issue please inform me <
wlt at umn.edu>

The attached document is an annotation of an earlier discussion piece. The
various quality related additions to DDI 3.2 have been highlighted and
commented up based on the last TIC disucssion. (earlier discussion is found
on mantis.ddiallience.org issue number 534).

Essentially the discussion we wish to have focuses on the following:

There were two areas where we had requests to add to 3.1, allowing for
references to external standards followed at various points in the process
and a key/value pair to address the quality of the metadata within a
maintainable. We have not addressed the development of Quality Measures as
discussed with ABS as we had had no earlier requests to do so. TIC
understands that this is a major area for NSIs and that DDI will need to be
able to relate to areas of GSIM that deal with these issues.

The primary question now is two-fold:

Does the change in the MetadataQuality/QualityMeasure name clarify its
intended use and remove the conflict with a widely used term? The
alternative at this point would probably be to remove the MetadataQuality
element from Maintainable although we do not know how others may have been
intending to use it within its original definition.

Does DDI 3.2 need to address the QualityMeasure content raised by ABS (see
Name_of_Quality_Measure.pdf) in some minimal way or should this be moved to
a future version of DDI? There are too many interested groups to be able to
pull together a detailed means of addressing this issue within the
remaining timespan of 3.2 preperation.

--
Wendy L. Thomas                              Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director                 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center             Email: wlt at umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South