[DDI-users] Crosswalk Bettwen DDI and MODS/METS

Zenk-Möltgen, Wolfgang Wolfgang.Zenk-Moeltgen at gesis.org
Tue Jan 31 03:06:25 EST 2012

Dear Minglu,
concerning your question about metadata schemes for archiving social science data I'd like to recommend to look at the da|ra metadate schema available here:
dara metadata schema: http://www.gesis.org/dara/en/home/technical-information/dara-metadata/
dara Homepage http://www.gesis.org/dara/en/home/?lang=en
( a German working paper is available at http://www.gesis.org/fileadmin/upload/forschung/publikationen/gesis_reihen/gesis_arbeitsberichte/WorkingPapers_2011-14.pdf )

The da|ra project is part of the DataCite community that registers DOI Names for research datasets. The DataCite metadata schema is found here:
http://schema.datacite.org/
In the DataCIte documents you will find a DataCite to DDI mapping in the appendix (e.g. http://schema.datacite.org/meta/kernel-2.2/doc/DataCite-MetadataKernel_v2.2.pdf ) However, the DataCite metadata schema does not contain social science specific information.

We also have an updated version of the dara metadata schema (corresponding to DataCite 2.2), but we are still working on the DDI mapping of it. If you are interested, I can make it available to you in before we publish it.
Best,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Zenk-Möltgen
GESIS - Leibniz-Institut für Sozialwissenschaften
Datenarchiv für Sozialwissenschaften (DAS)
Unter Sachsenhausen 6-8
D-50667 Köln

E-Mail: wolfgang.zenk-moeltgen at gesis.org<mailto:wolfgang.zenk-moeltgen at gesis.org>

Tel. +49 (0)221 47694-0