[DDI-users] Crosswalk Bettwen DDI and MODS/METS

Minglu Wang minglu at rutgers.edu
Mon Jan 30 17:45:20 EST 2012

Dear DDI User Community,

Our institution is trying to develop the data repository and use our current Fedora based digital repository, which is using MODS as the metadata standard.

I am writing to ask is there metadata crosswalk documentation already developed between DDI 3 and MODS or METS? Would you please give me some guidance on that?

I have found one from the the VDCIntegration Wiki (http://pledge.mit.edu/index.php/VDCIntegration), but only very brief DDI fields were mapped. Are there more detailed mapping developed?

Also, how DDI is comparable for using in archiving science data? Are there research/practice on the topic? If an institutional data repository is trying to develop its metadata standard in order to be able archive research data in both social sciences and sciences subjects, what would you suggest on that?

Thank you!

--
Minglu Wang
Data Services Librarian