[DDI-users] DDI Examples Google Code repository

Randy Banks randy at essex.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 02:33:34 EST 2012

Sam -

Cheers for this, which is Very Helpful.

I like your 3-way classification, distinguishing the (simple and
complex) hypothetical from the (practical) actual, but wonder if
examples in the latter basket should include an explicit
copyright/licensing statement to make it clear that the examples can be
used by others for equally practical purposes.

More generally, the two examples you provide suggest that this facility
could provide the basis for co-operative development and/or sharing of
other coding standards, as well as potentially project-specific
examples; standard industrial and occupational classifications are two
that immediately come to mind.

Should the 'practical' tree be further subdivided to organise such things?

Thanks again.

randy

On 11/01/2012 11:28, Samuel Spencer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of the concerns mentioned around EDDI in December was the lack of
> a proper place for people to share DDI examples.
> To help improve this situation, I've started a Google Code repository
> of DDI Examples <http://bit.ly/xCEz1b> to allow people to find and
> share DDI XML.
> The site is quite sparse at the moment, but to kick things off I put
> up two examples of actual classifications that I've been playing with
> in the 'Practical examples' section. As part of the work to lower the
> barrier to entry to the standard, I'm also on building some simple
> examples to help illustrate DDI in practice - these example will also
> be going up into the repository.
>
> There is also a post on the blog <http://bit.ly/y8vG6p> with a little
> more background info for those interested.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam.
>
> --- Specificity is the soul of all good communication ---
> --- When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box ---
> Find out more about me: http://about.me/legostormtroopr

PLEASE NOTE: There may be a delay in me dealing with your email
as I am participating in UCU industrial action by
working to contract to defend my pension.

To find out more about this dispute, see www.ucu.org.uk/defenduss.

Randy Banks (randy at essex.ac.uk)
ISER, University of Essex, Colchester, Essex, UK. CO4 3SQ

tel: +44 (0)1206 873067; fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
http://iserwww.essex.ac.uk