[DDI-users] Group vs Universe

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Thu Jan 27 16:28:23 EST 2011

Briefly, Group is used to put Study Units and SubGroups (groups of Study
Units) into an organzed structure for ad-hoc comparison purposes or to
represent the repetative nature of Study Unit such as in longitudinal or
cross-sectional studies. This form of grouping-by-design supports
inheritance. Inheritance is where say a survey is repeated yearly. The
survey itself is inherited and the individual study units related study
specific information such as dates, locations, etc.

Universe is a conceptual component of a study (or group of studies). The
Study Unit references its universe which is housed in a Universe Scheme. A
Universe Scheme can be specific to a study and the sub-universes reflected
in the instrument flow (if then branches) or multiple sub-universes
refelcted in how the study is administered (patients, hospitals, doctors).

I realize you're clear on the above but since this is a reply to the
community I wanted to state this first.

Now to your 2 studies. You have a number of options depending on what
activities you are trying to support.

1) If these were designed to be comparative, you can create a group,
describe the Universe Scheme at the group level and reference from the
study unit. The Universe Scheme itself provides the relationship between
the Universes of both studies. For Example a top level Universe would be
the more inclusive and the other a sub-universe. Now the universes you
described have several hierachies in them (temporal, spatial, topical)

1970-2010, Families in the USA

Hierarchy 1: 1990-2010

Hierarchy 2: Families in USA with child/children diagnosed autistic within
the spectrum

StudyUnit A would pount to the full Universe
StudyUnit B would point to the subuniverse in Hierarchy 1 AND the
subuniverse in Hierachy 2

Note that if more than one universe is reference it is the OVERLAP of
those two universes that is being defined not the combined area.

So with this information you can tell that both studies are within the
same hierarchies but A has a broader coverage as StudyUnit B points to
only subuniverses.

It is clear that StudyUnitA has data on families without autistic children
but you would then need to check the variables and category schemes to see
if you could identify those families within the data.

Your retrieval case (a) is absolutely clear in that the use of the same
universe scheme clearly shows that the universe of  Study B is a subset of
A. In case (b) the universe is a first step. Clearly STudy Unit B will not
help you at all. Study Unit A will only help if it asked about the
presence or absense of autistic children which can be used a base for
filtering the cases. Alternatively if you can actually match cases between
the two studies, for the years 1990-2010 you can match cases and use only
those from Study A that do not have a match in study B.

If this was not a series and you are coming to it after the fact (say
building a retrieval system) you can create a master Universe Scheme and
then map the individual universe schemes to it. Your initial search would
be on the master universe and then track back to all of the sources that
reference that target. Again you will have the problem of identifying
families without autistic children as it may be impossible to do case
matching.

Your retrieval system would need to address how these two data sets were
merged.

Wendy