[DDI-users] Data processing and Data Distribution in the DDI lifecycle

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Sat Jan 22 11:34:33 EST 2011

An additional side note on "Distribution". DDI does not have a
"distribution module". Distribution and access are supported by DDI
content generally from the following sets of metadata:

conceptualcomponent.xsd   Concepts, Universe, Geography (structure,
location)

studyunit.xsd, group.xsd, physicalinstance.xsd Coverage (topical,
temporal, spatial)

datacollection.xsd  QuestionScheme/QuestionItem

logicalproduct.xsd  CategoryScheme, VariableScheme, NCubeScheme

physicalinstance.xsd Summary and Category Statistics

For physical distribution:

physicaldataproduct.xsd  PhysicalStructureScheme, RecordLayoutScheme

physicalinstance.xsd  provides location of the data file itself

Wendy

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, My Coyne wrote:

> Hi All,
> Reference:  DDi_3.1_Part_I_Overview.pdf, page 7, figure 1 "Combined
> Life Cycle Model"
> The above reference shows that the the life cycle includes:
> Study concept -> data collection -> data processing -> Data
> distribution -> data discovery -> data analysis.
> Would someone please give me the DDI's definition of what data
> processing and data distribution is.
> What are the DDI modules and XML tags that are used for data
> processing and data distribution?
> Thank you very much for help.
> My Coyne
> mcoyne at boninc.com
> (cel): 301-399-6351

Wendy L. Thomas                          Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director		 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South