[DDI-users] Data processing and Data Distribution in the DDI lifecycle

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Sat Jan 22 11:25:38 EST 2011

Hi My,

Data Processing and Distribution in DDI terms includes a wide range of
activies so think of them very generically. Examples of Data Processing
include:

commands used to determine or drive data flow
recoding and derivation of variables
imputation
data cleaning
data capture commands for non-questionnaire data
comparison definitions for translation between response domains
etc.

Distribution can cover distributing data directly or providing access.
Distribution or access can be "in-house" between members of an
organization or outside. It can be done directly by the agency creating or
collecting the data or through an organization (library, archive, etc.)
designed to provide access to data (acting as the middle man).

I will separately send you one of the slide decks from our GESIS workshop
which may describe this more completely for you. We are in the process of
getting these set up for access but have not yet made the final review.

Wendy

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, My Coyne wrote:

> Hi All,
> Reference:  DDi_3.1_Part_I_Overview.pdf, page 7, figure 1 "Combined
> Life Cycle Model"
> The above reference shows that the the life cycle includes:
> Study concept -> data collection -> data processing -> Data
> distribution -> data discovery -> data analysis.
> Would someone please give me the DDI's definition of what data
> processing and data distribution is.
> What are the DDI modules and XML tags that are used for data
> processing and data distribution?
> Thank you very much for help.
> My Coyne
> mcoyne at boninc.com
> (cel): 301-399-6351

Wendy L. Thomas                          Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director		 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South