[DDI-users] Using CategoryScheme, CodeScheme, and QuestionScheme and Ontology concept

My Coyne mcoyne at boninc.com
Sun Jan 16 22:28:22 EST 2011

  Hi All,
	I'm a DDI newbie and am in search for a way to express the following
scenario using DDI.  I will take a simplest case of gender.
 a.  Gender may have values of male, female, both, unknown, and
missing values.  The missing values may also have a lot more values,
for simplicity, says 'don't feel like answering'.
 b.  In the project, I would also like to use ontology.  Gender, male,
and female all can be expressed as concept in an ontology.
 c.  The project has different study centers; each study center has
its own way to label male and female and not necessary same codes.
For example,
       c.1.   Study center UC1 in their instrument I_1, question q_1
                q_1   Gender:  Male    (recorded in the database as 1)
                                        Female (recorded in the
database as 2)
       c.2    Study center SC2 in their instrument I_2, question q_10
                q_10  Gender:  Male    (recorded in the database as 0)
                                         Female (recorded in the
database as 1)
 I'm investigating the use of  DDI for data archiving and achieving
the following objectives:
 1.  Set up the metadata services for consistency going forward in the
future
 2.  Still allowing for legacy data as being done at Study center SC1
and SC2
 3.  Setting a data framework to connect to an ontology
 I plan to use DDI in the following manner, please comment if it is
correct or not.  I appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance.
 a.  CategoryScheme to define each  "genderMale", "genderFemale",
"genderBoth"
 b.  Use CategoryScheme to define gender that would make reference to
"genderMale", "genderFemale", and "genderBoth"
 c.  Using CodeScheme and codeItem to code 'Male" that refers to
categorySchem genderMale; "Female" that refers to genderFemale, etc.
 d.  Define QuestionScheme "GenderQuestion"
 But I fail to solve the problem that Q_1 (in instrument I_1) will
have Male as 1 and Q_2 (in instrument I_2) will have a code of 0-zero.
 I defined (a) and (b) as gender is a concept in ontology, so are
"male" and "female".
 Thank you for any help.
 My Coyne
 mcoyne at boninc.com