[DDI-users] data dissemination..how

My Coyne mcoyne at boninc.com
Fri Feb 18 15:44:52 EST 2011

Hi Bob,

I saw one reply for the email; I don't know if you have received answers in private with regards to the questions you pose below; if I may, I
would like to offer some thoughts. In my view, DDI provides a framework, which consists of constructs, to document and describe almost
every single process step, decision point in a study. In that regard, DDI is very rich. In parallel, data is collected and stored in a database or
flat files, or database with references to flat files, etc. If a project decides to use DDI from the beginning,it [the project] may use DDI to
design its questions, and instruments; all this provides the context and metadata (which can be connected to ontology and terminology) for
the data that will be collected when a participant is interviewed.

I assume the collected data is stored in the database, or flat files.

In addition to data that is collected via survey, instruments, there is lab data, which you mentioned. It is most possible that the amount
from the laboratory is very large (for example, some projects may collect genomic sequencing for mother or new born to say something
about the amount of data). At this juncture, I see DDI can be used to "document" the data up to certain point; because it is depending on
the lab work, there might have been standards exist to provide such documentation. One example comes to my mind: if the lab work
happens to be using microarray to for genomic and/or genetic information, there are number of standards to document a microarray
experiment. It is then the question of how DDI would allow for such bridging to happen.

With regards to the question "In general, how would people be inclined to make this type of data public? One file for hCG? another for PdG,
E1G and CRT and another for LH? or merge them all together into one synthetic file" I wonder about the same question in my mind. I can
use both {LogicalProduct and PhysicalDataProduct} of DDI to "document" in absolute (excruciating) details about a dataset. and still keep
data in a file. That's great (in my humble opinion). But, what it means I will need to do one set of {logical, physical} ddi for each type of
dataset; this can be overwhelming!!! (if one has a lot of different dataset). One solution is to "dump" all data into one; However, I don't
think this is very good solution, because (1) some times it is NOT possible to do because of summary and aggregate data and (2) it creates
a burden to the consumer of data to sort out the needed data items.

With regards to the opinion "FAR too many lotus and Quattro Pro spreadsheets and *.prn files and there seems no compelling reason I can
imagine to make this morass of "ur-data" public??"  I guess this is the PI's and Study's question.  Even if it is far more too much data, if it is
the requirements, then the data will be in the public domain.  However, data should be documented-- for example, participant profile
(medical or other factor) when specimens are collected, collection methods and how specimen was processed, perhaps.

I would be very interested to find out how DDI is used to document which algorithm is used in processing of data.   If you find out, I would
like to hear.

My two cents.

On Tue 15/02/11  2:55 PM , Bob McConnaughey bobmcconn at gmail.com sent: