[DDI-users] lab data

Bob McConnaughey bobmcconn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:29:06 EST 2011

while we want people to understand what WE'VE done...since this data is
still "live" - new analyses are being carried out, followup studies, new
sets of assays, etc. we think it's important for people to have access to
the data as we received ti too.  Not every damn spreadsheet produced by the
various labs, of course, but the data before we made any changes.  Since, in
my paranoid way, i never change "original" data and, as klunky as it seems,
all changes are "documented" as they are executed using SAS code that gets
included when changes are made.  BUT other researchers may well want to make
other decisions regarding, say assay thresholds, CV limits of replicate
values that they deem acceptable, etc.There've been 80+ publications and
many more articles coming out of EPS study data..from everywhere from the
NEJM to ...a cover story of Newseek so we want to show changes that we
thought were plausible - but not force them on other researchers.

>A variant of this question came up in the discussions about longitudinal
data at Dagstuhl. At a stage of a >project when data are used for something
published, it would be good practice to preserve a copy of the data as used.
In your example if publications were based on analyses using changed/imputed
data then those data are of interest. For someone interested in the SAS code
used to do those changes and possible other imputation methods, the raw data
used by that code is of interest.

"The more I know for sure, the less I see."
John Lennon