[DDI-users] How to model a value with unit

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Thu Feb 17 09:35:54 EST 2011

My,

First, have you looked at the examples (DDI 3.0 so some differences from
3.1 but basically similar) on the DDI site
http://www.ddialliance.org/resources/tools
Go to the bottom of the page with mark-up examples

The software company Colectica also has some samples out there
http://www.colectica.com/ddi

Can you send me the example of your variable on age with all its component
part? I'm not sure I get what you are asking for.

Is it a single variable with structured content?   Age
24years10days56hours10minutes40seconds?

Is it a format for capturing each but expressing it in a sting of
veriables?

Basically in microdata the "value" is the entry in the data file while the
"Variable" describes what it is a value of. I've seen age in years,
months, hours, etc. The only times I've seen it as a combination they have
either created a long codescheme with something like the following

Code Value 	Label
1		1 year
2		2 years
99		99 years or over
X1		1 month
X2		2 months
X11		11 months

The variable then uses a code representation referencing this code scheme.

I've also seen it where there are two variables, one using a numberic
response of type integer and the other using a code scheme 1=years,
2=months, 3=days. The second variable provides the unit base for the first
variable. I'd need to look inside DDI to see how this might work in terms
of tying the two variables together. I'll get back to you later on that
and make sure that if we can't do it now it will be fixed in version 3.2.

As for the reasonableness of this approach in the data I find it to be a
bit of a problem when trying to analyze the data. I can't treat the
variable using the code scheme as a numeric because they represent
different things. I would end up recoding everything into a uniform value
with a single measurement unit in order to analyse the data.

It's a very reasonable structure for question or other data collection
tool. In this case you could have a single question about age with a
structured mixed response where you'd basically end up collecting each
portion of the age construct as separate items within the same question

How old is the subject:

_____ years _____months _____days     or whatever

It good to hear that the study has decided to use DDI. I've had some
recent email from Jay that I need to get back to him on. My time has been
a bit limited lately.

More later...I've got a conference call coming up in a few minutes

Wendy

Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall