[DDI-users] Variable representation: measurementUnit, WeightVariableReference, StandardWeightReference

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Wed Feb 2 10:08:30 EST 2011

My,

Currently anywhere there is a language option for a string it is
repeatable to represent different languages. In the next version we will
add a feature that allows bundling of multiple language representations of
the same content so many of those 0..n options will go away.

The generic element r:NameType has the following definition:

A reusable type assigned to an element with the naming convention XxxName
e.g. OrganizationName at selected locations where the element may be
assumed to be administered by a registry or is otherwise shared. This is a
human understandable name (word, phrase, or mnemonic) that reflects the
ISO/IEC 11170-5 naming principles. A name for an element is specified
within a particular context such as an element administered within a
registry. When multiple names are used the preferred name should be
identified by setting the Boolean attribute @isPreferred to 'true'. When
elements are administered through a registry a Name is required. Names
within an administered registry should follow the naming conventions of
the registry. See ISO/IEC 11179-5 Information Technology - Metadata
Registries (MDR) Part 5: naming and identification principles.
ISO/IEC1179-5:2005(E). Mnemonics associated with an element should
included here.

The xxxName is NOT the unique identifer, that is the agency/ID/version as
expressed in a DDI URN.

Other answers below...

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, My Coyne wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am learning about Variable:
> -- A variable associates with 0..* QuestionReference
> -- A variable associates with 0..* VariableName (really?)
> -- A variable associates with 0..1 Representation
>          * A representation has measurementUnit
>          * A representation associates with 0..* WeightVariableReference
>          * A representation associates with 0..* StandardWeightReference
>
> My questions:
> (1)  Under what circumstance a variable will have more than one names?  Furthermore, how does an entity queries the information would know
> which variable name to use?
>       This leads to another question:  If in question q1, the variable name is V1; but in question qn, the variable name is Vn.  How to indicate
> such "order" with QuestionReference and VariableName.  Because it seems that in such case the QuestionReference and VariableName is
> "tightly coupled" and I don't know how the schema can enforce this.

See above but basically, language differences is the primary reason for
repetition. The attribute isPrimary set to true indicates the preferred
name if multiples occur. In addition a reference to the variable can
request a preferred language if it is available.

There is no coupling of questions and variables via "name" unless the user
makes that coupling. In older versions of DDI (1 and 2) everything was
bundled into the variable causing the problems you noted above. In DDI 3
questions are listed separately as QuestionItems in a QuestionScheme. If
managed in a registry they would normally each have a name. When creating
a survey or other progressive data capture, ControlConstructs are used to
designate question flow and reference Questions in the appropriate order
(including IfThenElse, Loop, Repeat, etc.) as needed. A Variable may be
the direct response to a question, a recoded response, a derivation based
on multiple questions, or from another source entirely. The question
reference simply allows you to identify one or more questions that
resulted in the content of the variable. Coding Instruction Reference
links to the exact process that resulted in the variable. For example if
Q1 is part of a loop that is asked of every member of a household and each
pass through the loop results in V1a, V1b, V1c etc. then the coding
instruction would indicate a difference value (reflecting the looping
pass) in order to link the right variable to the right case. We are adding
the ability to reference Question Constructs (the use of a question in a
specific location of a question flow) in DDI 3.2.

> (2) What is WeightVariableReference and StandardWeightReference?  why are they not just as simple as a string value of the measurementUnit?

Some data files have overall weights assigned such as a strict 10% sample
of something. This value is described in ProcessingEvent. You would
include a Weighting (a general description of the weighting process) and a
Coding/StandardWeight which in this case would contain "10" as the
weighting factor to by used by the variable. StandardWeightReference is
repeatable to support highly complex studies that result in the use of
multiple standard weighting factors for a single variable, sometimes
depending on the analysis being done.

In other cases where certain groups are oversampled in order to obtain
sufficient cases for study, a Variable containing a weighting factor is
included in the data set. The US Public Use Microsamples are an example of
this. In this case the variable would point to the appropriate Weight
Variable(s). In complex studies multiple weights are available depending
on the variable and the specific purpose of the analysis. The description
of the weight variables themselves should provide guidence in their
appropriate application.

The measurement unit is simply the unit of measure...$, pound, years, etc.

Wendy