[DDI-users] For review by September 20: Metadata Kernel for DataCite

Wolfgang Zenk-Möltgen wolfgang.zenk-moeltgen at gesis.org
Wed Sep 1 09:39:03 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,
I would like to inform you about the review process for the DataCite
metadata kernel (see below). The review is open to all interested people.
Please feel free to send any comments to DCite-L at listserv.ucop.edu.
Best regards,
Wolfgang

++With apologies for cross-posting++

Dear community members,

The attached document is the newly completed Metadata Kernel for DataCite
(http://www.datacite.org/). This document is the work of representatives
from 11 of the 12 member institutions of the DataCite consortium, and we are
now hoping that you will take the opportunity to review it and provide us
with your perspective.

With this Metadata Kernel, the DataCite consortium is hoping to achieve the
following goals:

·         recommend a standard citation format for datasets, based on a
small number of elements required for DOI registration;

·         provide the basis for interoperability with other data management
schemas;

·         promote dataset discovery with optional elements allowing for
flexible description of the resource, including its relationship to other
resources;

·         and, lay the groundwork for future DataCite services, including
discovery tool implementations by the use of controlled lists of terms as
well as standard vocabularies where available.

We ask only that, when providing feedback, you refer to page numbers,
element numbers, and so forth, wherever possible. This will help us a great
deal to compile the comments we receive. Please send your comments by the
end of business September 20, 2010 to DCite-L at listserv.ucop.edu

If you have any questions between now and September 20, please do not
hesitate to contact me, Joan Starr, at joan.starr at ucop.edu.

I thank you very much for your assistance with this endeavor.

Regards,

Joan Starr