[DDI-users] Marking variables mandatory in DDI3

Mari Kleemola mari.kleemola at uta.fi
Mon Oct 11 09:02:55 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm looking for a machine-actionable way to mark in DDI3 that a variable
is mandatory. An example case would be register data, where the
informants are required to give certain information and the metadata
would be used to check that mandatory variables actually contain
information.

One solution that comes to mind is to create a VariableGroup and use
@GroupType and a term from a controlled vocabulary to indicate that the
variables in this group are mandatory. On the other hand if there's only
one mandatory variable creating a group feels like an overkill, but I
did not find a place for this kind of information in the variable level.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mari

--
Mari Kleemola