[DDI-users] Call for open data for a new competition - CodePlay [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Samuel Spencer samuel.spencer at abs.gov.au
Wed Nov 3 21:57:38 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We here at the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) are going to be
running a competition from mid-November through to April 2011 for
Australian tertiary students called CodePlay.

The idea behind CodePlay  is to recruit interested and talented students
while educating them about DDI and SDMX, which are some standards we are
adopting within the organisation.
We are hoping we will be able to encourage students to begin writing their
own tools for the creation, transformation and visualisation of DDI and
SDMX.

As much as we would love to provide students with all of our data in these
formats, we are still piloting programs to begin disseminating data in this
way.
So while we will have some ABS data available in these formats for students
to work with, it will be limited.

To rectify this, we are contacting numerous agencies to donate open data
for this initiative. By donating some of your data, not only is there the
opportunity for students to work directly in line with your goals, there is
also the advantage that it will increase the knowledge of DDI and SDMX into
wider communities.
If you are donating data, keep in mind the target audience will most likely
be young, web-connected, data-obsessed, information junkies, so to entice
them to work with your data, you may wish to provide data that is fun,
interesting or really big.

If you are willing to help us, yourselves, and the open-data community as a
whole, please forward your data, with the following information:
* Your agency
* Title of the data
* A link to where the data can be downloaded, preferably on your
organisations website
* A blurb about the data, including who might use it, why its important,
etc...
to myself, or the people who have been cc'd in on this message.

Regards,

Samuel Spencer
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Technical Architect - Technology Applications (WA)
(08) 9360 5200

--- Specificity is the soul of all good communication ---