[DDI-users] DTD/Schema for DDI 1-2

Sanda Ionescu sandai at umich.edu
Wed Jul 21 10:52:20 EDT 2010

Hi, all.

Some clarifications for the use of DTD vs. Schema for DDI versions 1 -
2.1, because I raised this issue yesterday:

-          The DTD - not schema - is the canonical representation for
DDI versions 1.0 through 2.1. As clearly stated on the DDI Alliance
Website, "the DTD should be used as the authoritative source for
instance creation and validation."

-          The schemas presented on the Alliance site were obtained
through automated conversion by and XML editor (I believe XMLSpy)
primarily for documentation purposes, but not for use in applications.

-          It appears however that there may be projects that reference
a schema, not DTD, in their DDI 1.0 - 2.1 instances. To prevent such
links from being broken, we are housing all of the 1.0 through 2.1
schemas on our server. These links should work, and please do let us
know if you find otherwise.

-          The said schemas however (except for 2.1) are not accessible
directly from the website, partly to prevent new users/projects from
linking to them.

I hope this helps,

Sanda.

Sanda Ionescu