[DDI-users] language tags

Joachim Wackerow joachim.wackerow at gesis.org
Tue Nov 24 10:15:17 EST 2009

Alerk,

The intention of ALL language related elements/attributes in DDI3 is to
use the values allowed as for xml:lang. Maybe this is not clear enough
in the documentation and in the definition of these elements/attributes
in the XML Schema. As Wendy said this should be reviewed.

A quite instructive page about language tags in HTML and XML is
available at W3C. This would also apply to the language values at
several places in DDI3. The page describes the detailed structure of the
tags when the ISO code isn't sufficient for the description of a language.
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/

The page mentioned above is basically a description of the content of
the official RFC 4646.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4646

The ISO three-letter codes should be used, when languages should be
defined which have no two-letter code.

When the ISO three-letter code is not sufficient, the Language Subtag
Registry at IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) may help:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry

Search Tool by Richard Ishida:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/utils/subtags/

Hope this helps