[DDI-users] language tags

Alerk Amin a.amin at uvt.nl
Tue Nov 24 08:48:28 EST 2009

Hello,

   In looking at the DDI 3.1 specification, I have a question regarding
language tags.  This issue doesn't cause us problems today, but might in
the future.
   As far as I know, the xml:lang attribute accepts IETF language tags
(BCP 47 standard track).  This consists of a language tag, with
additional optional tags, including region and script.  The script tag
is important for us, because for one project, we have 2 translations
into the same language/region, with 2 different scripts.  As most DDI
elements use the xml:lang attribute to specify the language, this is
fine with us.
   However, the Language element from the ddi:instance:3_1 namespace
does not specify what standard to use for the language.  If I look at
the Language element in the ddi:reusable:3_1 namespace, it specifies
only a pair of codes for language and locale (ISO 3166 for country
codes, and I assume ISO 639-1 for language).  The LanguageOfData element
only specifies "a 2-character ISO language code" (ISO 639-1?).  The
Language element in the ddi:archive:3_1 namespace does not specify which
standard to use, but its type is xs:language, so I assume I can use IETF
language tags, as with xml:lang.
   Is the above interpretation correct?  If not, please let me know
where I am mistaken.
   I think we would prefer to use IETF language tags everywhere.  We
will likely use the TranslationInformation element in the future, and
will will need the ability to specify the script at that time.
   Thank you for your help.

Best,
Alerk

--