[DDI-users] [DDI-UOG-Chair] Adopting DDI for a survey

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:11:45 EST 2009

Stein,

I am assuming this may be part of the larger project ABS is undertaking.
You may wish to talk to Alistair Hamilton at ABS as he is one of the
people involved in setting up some addtional training etc within ABS on
DDI.

If you are focusing on variables you may wish to look at some of the SPSS
and SAS to DDI 3 tools like DeXT and one by Achim Wackerow. These are on
the ddi tools page http://tools.ddialliance.org/?lvl1=library

This will let you see where elements you are familier with from
statistical packages reside within a DDI instance.

Coming from a questionnaire perspective I would suggest talking to the
developers at Algenta  (Jeremy Iverson <jeremy at algenta.com>). While their
tool is commercial they have a beta version you should be able to use and
again create DDI output that will provide you with a better sense of how
the content is arranged.

If you have not already done so, download the schema package. It contains
both an Overview and Users Guide which may be helpful. I don't know how
helpful the current set of best practices will be
http://www.ddialliance.org/DDI/bp/ as they don't tend to deal with this
basic use case.

If you have specific question, either post them to the list or directly to
me. I chair the Technical Implimentation Committee and provide user
support to DDI.

Wendy Thomas

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Katherine McNeill wrote:

> Stein,
>
> Thank you for your interest, and I'm also forwarding your message to the DDI Users email list, where other users (many of whom I know have experience in Blaise) can respond to your question as well.  There is a particular section of the DDI that would be use to document the variables (specifically in the logical product module: http://gandalf.opendatafoundation.org/infocenter/topic/net.sf.ddialliance.help/html/modules/ddi3_logicalproduct.html), whereas most of the other elements document other contextual information about the data (collection, storage formats, etc.).
>
> As for tools, there's a simple DDI editor tool at: http://www.ddialliance.org/DDI/ddi3/editor-lite-3/DDI_v2dot2.html
> Within the DDI Tools project page (http://tools.ddialliance.org/?lvl1=library) you can view a list of XML examples, and the first one in the list shows examples of markup of variables.
>
> And I believe that others who respond to your question will be able to provide even more detailed guidance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Katherine McNeill

Wendy L. Thomas                          Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director		 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South