[DDI-users] [DDI-UOG-Chair] Adopting DDI for a survey

Katherine McNeill mcneillh at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 18 14:19:05 EST 2009

Stein,

Thank you for your interest, and I'm also forwarding your message to the DDI Users email list, where other users (many of whom I know have experience in Blaise) can respond to your question as well.  There is a particular section of the DDI that would be use to document the variables (specifically in the logical product module: http://gandalf.opendatafoundation.org/infocenter/topic/net.sf.ddialliance.help/html/modules/ddi3_logicalproduct.html), whereas most of the other elements document other contextual information about the data (collection, storage formats, etc.).

As for tools, there's a simple DDI editor tool at: http://www.ddialliance.org/DDI/ddi3/editor-lite-3/DDI_v2dot2.html
Within the DDI Tools project page (http://tools.ddialliance.org/?lvl1=library) you can view a list of XML examples, and the first one in the list shows examples of markup of variables.

And I believe that others who respond to your question will be able to provide even more detailed guidance.

Sincerely,
Katherine McNeill

From: ddi-uog-chair-bounces at ddialliance.org [mailto:ddi-uog-chair-bounces at ddialliance.org] On Behalf Of Steinberg Tan
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:37 PM
To: ddi-uog-chair at icpsr.umich.edu
Cc: Steinberg Tan
Subject: [DDI-UOG-Chair] Adopting DDI for a survey

Hi,

My name's Steinberg and I work for the Australian Bureau of Statistics.  I am currently involved in a pilot project to see if we can map a small survey to DDI standard.  I've been reading some of the papers and presentations on the net but am still a bit confused about how we go about mapping it.

Our current system (end-to-end system) consists of various components from our data store (star schema) to Blaise (edits and data entry) and many others in-between.  For this pilot project, our initial goal is to map every variable in the survey form to DDI - I'm writing to ask if there are any tools that will allow me to do this easily or any samples that I can work through.  I initially looked at the basic structure of DDI and there are a lot of elements to choose from for me to know whether I'm mapping things correctly or not.

Kind Regards,
Stein