[DDI-users] valuing digital data

Kramer, Stefan stefan.kramer at yale.edu
Fri Mar 6 15:16:58 EST 2009

Linda,

Do you mean value in terms of assigning a monetary value to data?  I don't recall reading anything about this, but suspect this would have to be looked at separately for different countries and types of institutions.  A government agency's data collection could be said to have already been publicly funded, thus should be in the public domain and be distributed only for "at cost" prices at the most, but that view certainly varies between nations (to the chagrin of researchers/libraries wanting to obtain government information and being shocked by the price tag, from some countries); a firm like Gallup or LexisNexis or Polidata may sell the data they collect/gather for whatever the market will bear; a university will regard the value of data holdings rather by usefulness for teaching and research taking place there; and so on.  Perhaps one way would be to equate it with the cost of collecting+preparing+hosting+curating+archiving+... the data ... bringing this back to DDI, it's interesting to contemplate whether/how this should be captured in the metadata of datasets.

--
 Stefan Kramer
 Social Science Data Librarian, Yale University
 stefan.kramer at yale.edu