[DDI-users] DDI 3.0 xsd question

I-Lin Kuo ikuoikuo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:32:42 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I thought I'd chime in on this one. I remember this being an issue that
Sanda raised way back when and we looked at it. It's a bug, but it's an
unavoidable bug. The reason is because xml schema determinism rules prevent
us from offer the three options without also providing the other unwanted
options. A different validation technology, though, might allow us to
prohibit repeated ID or URNs.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Wendy Thomas <wlt at pop.umn.edu> wrote:

> Alerk,
>
> Definately a bug. The intent is to provide the option of:
> URN only
> ID sequence only
> URN plus ID sequence
>
> Clearly that is not the option offered by the scheme.
>
> Achim...could you file this bug? Let J know about it as he needs to
> provide the specific structure to replace it.
>
> Thanks for finding that Alerk!
>
> Wendy
>
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Joachim Wackerow wrote:
>
> > Hello Alerk,
> >
> > It looks like a bug. It doesn't seem to make sense to allow two URN's or
> > two ID's etc.
> >
> > We will discuss this at the next TIC meeting and will give you feedback.
> >
> > Thank you for pointing this out.
> >
> > Achim
> >
> > Alerk Amin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >>    I have a question about a DDI 3.0 document that I am trying to
> >> validate.  I hope this is the right mailing list for this question: if
> >> it is not, please let me know where I should mail this question.
> >>    The following snippet of XML validates properly, but it seems to me
> >> like it should not:
> >>
> >> <l:ConceptReference>
> >>      <r:ID>C_1</r:ID>
> >>      <r:ID>C_2</r:ID>
> >> </l:ConceptReference>
> >>
> >>    Based on the documentation of the ReferenceType in reusable.xsd, the
> >> Reference should have a URN, an ID, or both.  2 IDs (or 2 URNs) should
> >> not be allowed.
> >>    In reusable.xsd, the schema for the ReferenceType contains:
> >>
> >>        <xs:choice maxOccurs="2">
> >>          <xs:element ref="URN">
> >>          </xs:element>
> >>          <xs:sequence>
> >>            <xs:element ref="ID">
> >>            </xs:element>
> >>          </xs:sequence>
> >>        </xs:choice>
> >>
> >> In order to validate the way the documentation describes, it seems like
> >> the scheme should instead contain:
> >>
> >>      <xs:choice>
> >>        <xs:sequence>
> >>          <xs:element ref="URN">
> >>          </xs:element>
> >>          <xs:sequence minOccurs="0">
> >>            <xs:element ref="ID">
> >>            </xs:element>
> >>          </xs:sequence>
> >>        </xs:sequence>
> >>        <xs:sequence>
> >>          <xs:sequence>
> >>            <xs:element ref="ID">
> >>            </xs:element>
> >>          </xs:sequence>
> >>          <xs:element ref="URN" minOccurs="0">
> >>          </xs:element>
> >>        </xs:sequence>
> >>      </xs:choice>
> >>
> >> I would appreciate any help or explanation anyone can provide about
> >> this.  If my interpretation of the ReferenceType is incorrect, please
> >> let me know.
> >>    Thank you for your help.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Alerk

> [...]