[DDI-users] DDI 3.0 xsd question

Alerk Amin a.amin at uvt.nl
Thu Feb 5 10:10:45 EST 2009

Hello,

   I have a question about a DDI 3.0 document that I am trying to
validate.  I hope this is the right mailing list for this question: if
it is not, please let me know where I should mail this question.
   The following snippet of XML validates properly, but it seems to me
like it should not:

<l:ConceptReference>
	<r:ID>C_1</r:ID>
	<r:ID>C_2</r:ID>
</l:ConceptReference>

   Based on the documentation of the ReferenceType in reusable.xsd, the
Reference should have a URN, an ID, or both.  2 IDs (or 2 URNs) should
not be allowed.
   In reusable.xsd, the schema for the ReferenceType contains:

       <xs:choice maxOccurs="2">
         <xs:element ref="URN">
         </xs:element>
         <xs:sequence>
           <xs:element ref="ID">
           </xs:element>
         </xs:sequence>
       </xs:choice>

In order to validate the way the documentation describes, it seems like
the scheme should instead contain:

     <xs:choice>
       <xs:sequence>
         <xs:element ref="URN">
         </xs:element>
         <xs:sequence minOccurs="0">
           <xs:element ref="ID">
           </xs:element>
         </xs:sequence>
       </xs:sequence>
       <xs:sequence>
         <xs:sequence>
           <xs:element ref="ID">
           </xs:element>
         </xs:sequence>
         <xs:element ref="URN" minOccurs="0">
         </xs:element>
       </xs:sequence>
     </xs:choice>

I would appreciate any help or explanation anyone can provide about
this.  If my interpretation of the ReferenceType is incorrect, please
let me know.
   Thank you for your help.

Best,
Alerk