[DDI-users] representing modules in DDI3.0

Dan Smith dan at algenta.com
Thu Aug 6 01:19:31 EDT 2009

Hi Bart,

The instrument documentation group for DDI 3 thought about presentation
and put it out of scope for the current version (3.0) for a couple of
reasons. First, it was very system specific, and second it is something
that could be added on top of the current basic routing information in a
subsequent version.

However, there are still several ways to document groups of questions or
"screens" using the current version and the forthcoming DDI v3.1.

In DDI 3.1, grouping questions can be accomplished by placing them all
into a sequence and using the "Type" element on sequence to specify user
defined type grouping. Also in 3.1 there will be a r:Description field
of type StructuredStringType that can be used to describe the groupings.

For example, sub instruments in our software are defined using a
"Colectica:SubInstrument" Type and a r:Description saying they are part
of a unique sub instrument set.

For your use case, you could create a sequence and document that all of
the questions are asked at the same time, on the same screen, or on the
same piece of paper using a Sequence and the r:Description and Type
elements.

Hope this helps, cheers!
Dan

Bart Orriens wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> first of all thanks a lot to everyone that replied to my earlier emails
> on usage of multiple language and availability of style sheets.
>
> Going slowly through the specs I ran into a few questions that hopefully
> someone can help me with:
>
> 1) in the surveys I am interested in representing the concept of module
> is used,
> which is basically a collection of questions. How would I best represent
> that in
> DDI? I couldn't find an explicit module concept, so my initial thought
> was to do something like:
>
> <QuestionItem>
>   <SubQuestions>
>      <QuestionReference>...</QuestionReference>
>   </SubQuestions>
> </QuestionItem>
>
> However, then I realized that according to the datacollection.xsd schema
> you
> can only include full question item definitions under a subquestions tag.
> This would be kind of inefficient, since in many cases questions will be
> reused
> across multiple modules in my surveys.
>
> Am I missing something or misinterpreting the spec?
>

> 2) In the survey routing I have instances in which multiple questions are
> presented together to be asked at the same time. The exact questions asked
> can be dependent on conditions, looping, etc. I could not find a direct way
> of representing this in the routing options provided by DDI. I considered
> making a multiple-item question and include that in the routing definition,
> but that would not allow me to capture the presence/absence of
> certain questions based on aforementioned conditions/looping/etc.
>
> A sequence would be incorrect as well. Basically i would need a
> parallel control construct that conveys questions being asked at the
> same time.
> As far as I can see though such concept does not exist.
> Any thoughts, suggestions would be very welcome.
>

> Thanks for any insight that anyone can provide!
>
> Cheers,
> Bart

Dan Smith
+1 608-213-2867