[DDI-users] Variable representation

Rémi Dewitte remi at gide.net
Thu Apr 16 04:30:02 EDT 2009

Hello,

Here is an example without the question. I have left data collection out of
the scope of my experiments for now, even I have read the schema.

The use case is a variable having the body weight of a respondent. There are
two codes (-1 and -2) indicating that the reason of a missing data. And
there is a topcode value (200). I would like to give labels for -1 -2 and
200. If you have time to have a glance at my test file and point what I may
not have understood well, it would surely help.

As for the multi choice question. I will take a variable which tells what
are all the spoken languages (among a choice of 40) in the household. More
than one is allowed. If I want to know the frequencies, I have to do 40 of
them. For each of the 40 frequency results, non-response are redundant.
Beyond simple frequencies, if the analysis software supports it, I can do
cross tabulation with "language spoken at home" and another variable more
easily than specifying 40 variables.

Thanks a lot,
Rémi