[DDI-users] Multiple choice question

Wendy Thomas wlt at pop.umn.edu
Wed Apr 15 10:20:04 EDT 2009

Rami
By Multiple choice do you mean a question with a category or coded
response where you can select more than one response? a single response?

A single response Question Item uses either a CategoryRepresentation or
CodeRepresentation depending on whether the questionnaire has provided the
codes related to the categories. This required creating a CategoryScheme
containing the required categories and (if used) a CodeScheme relating
each category to a specific code.

There does not appear to be a means of indicating if more than one item
can be checked. I recall discussing this with members of the instrument
group so there may be a bug already filed. If not I will do so. Primarily
this would be a flag indicating that multiple responses will be captured
and it is up to the instrument (Paper, CASES, Blaise, etc) to decide how
it will capture this internally.

The resulting variable(s) will depend on how you intend to express this.
One example would be where each response option turns into a binary
variable. Each variable would reference the same CodeScheme (e.g. 1=yes,
0=no) and reference the same question source. However, each variable would
have its own GenerationInstruction which would define how it was created.
EX. If any Q1 response=1 then variable value =1 else 0
Other variables might capture the number of different responses and would
have their own GenerationInstruction.

If you are talking a single resonse then both the Question and VAraible
might use the same category scheme (directly by the question or via the
CodeScheme. Alternately the Variable may use the same category/codescheme
as the question with the addition of specified non-response values.

Wendy

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Rémi Dewitte wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't find an example of a study unit with a multichoice question,
> resulting variable(s), and possibly physical instance.
> Do you have any example, tips or links to help me achieve this ?
>
> BTW, have there been any discussions between Triple-S and the DDI alliance ?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Rémi

Wendy L. Thomas                          Phone: +1 612.624.4389
Data Access Core Director		 Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
University of Minnesota
50 Willey Hall
225 19th Avenue South