[DDI-users] Variable representation

Rémi Dewitte remi at gide.net
Wed Apr 15 09:59:25 EDT 2009

Mary,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I find the pragmatic answer from Nesstar developer not really satisfactory
IMHO in the sense that DDI is not about "storing variables in a system
independent way" but as I understood so far a way to express things.

>From a question with 8 choices where you can pick 2 of them, I see at least
two ways of storing the result :
 - have 8 slots and code 0 or 1 if code is mentioned
 - have 2 stots with codes mentionned (you can have also some order with
this).

You have to make an early choice between 2 or 8 variables. I would argue
that it is a store (physical) matter and I don't want this detail to appear
at the logical layer. If the CodeScheme changes, it also changes the
variable scheme. Dealing with 8 variables is ok but when starting to have
few questions with between 20 to 40 codes as a multichoice, it becomes a
pain.

On the other side, I also understand that in the PhysicalStructure you have
to find a way to express how multi choice is handled. Which is not the
direction taken by DDI so far.

I hope my thoughts make sense.

Best regards,
Rémi