[DDI-users] ability to track parent/contingent variables?

Katherine McNeill mcneillh at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 10 16:29:39 EST 2008

I had a researcher who asked me if the DDI has the capability of tracking relationships among variables (i.e. parent/child, other kinds of contingencies).  I thought for sure that 3.0 must and am trying to confirm the specifics.

I searched through the Help Center and found something that says:

<xs:simpleType name="RelationCodeType">
<xs:restriction base="xs:NMTOKEN">
<xs:enumeration value="Parent">  </xs:enumeration>
<xs:enumeration value="Child">  </xs:enumeration>
<xs:enumeration value="Sibling">  </xs:enumeration>
</xs:restriction>

Is this serving that function?  Are there other contingencies that can be specified other than parent/child sibling?

And how if at all does this relate to the ability to group variables.

Thanks

Katherine McNeill
Data Services and Economics Librarian
Dewey Library for Management and Social Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
mcneillh at mit.edu | 617-253-0787
http://libraries.mit.edu/guides/subjects/data/