[DDI-users] When the Author of a DDI isn't the Archive

Reto Hadorn reto.hadorn at sidos.unine.ch
Thu Sep 1 05:39:05 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

docDscr expressed the conception of the codebook as a document, which was
created by an identifiable service and/or person. The document based XML
expression of the metadata model could only confirm that approach.

In the new life-cycle approach, the metadata may pass through several
systems, be modified by still more actors, and published in several forms.
The metadata model is not any more just the base for a document which will
make visible the work of the publishing data archive, but a resource for
many people and services along the life cycle of the data.

Hence we need a new concept, which could be 'action', defined by an author,
an action, a process etc. (to be further analysed!) and attached to various
objects in the metadata model depending on the type of action (research
project, study design, dataset, variable, questionnaire etc. etc.).
'Publication' could be one of those actions, where the kind of publication
should be more precisely defined (codebook, question base, Nesstar server,
VDC etc.). The creation of the XML file would not be the founding act of
the metadata publication, since the latter can take many forms, based on
various implementations of the metadata model (database, XML file).
Metadata entry, data processing, consistency controls, import of external
variables, construction of variables may be other possible actions.

Perhaps this approach can be combined with a general solution for various
roles, in which persons and services are mentioned in the metadata model
('author', funding agency, distributor). There is still some analysis work
ahead...

Best wishes

Reto