[DDI-users] Re: [DDI-SRG] [DDI-All] Improving the DDI Web Site

Mark R. Diggory mdiggory at latte.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 22 14:24:26 EDT 2005

Hi Matt,

 From a user standpoint, I'd like to see the following.

 > 3) What site features don't work well for you? I.e., what do you think
 > most needs improvement? How would you like to see them improved?

1.) All schema/dtd present be gzip'd on the serverside and delivered
using gzip compression if the tool can support it.

2.) Isolate a URL namespace for all current and future DDI xsd/dtd/etc
technical implmentations that is separate from delivered html content.

3.) Avoid delivering technical implmentations in more than one format,
for instance the following is confussing and creates a margin for error
in maintainence.

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/Version2-0.dtd
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/users/dtd/codebook2-0.html
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/users/dtd/Version2-0.dtd.zip

All need to be maintained as separate copies of the 2.0 dtd. I recommend
consolidating all this content into one file.

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/DDI/Version2-0.dtd since they are all just
different "packagings" of the same technical implementation (2.0 dtd).

-Mark Diggory
Harvard MIT Data Center