[DDI-users] New Geographic Tags in DDI

Humphrey Southall Humphrey.Southall at port.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 10:37:22 EST 2005

Does it provide any mechanism for associating bounding boxes/polygons with
individual data values, rather than data sets?

As Wendy knows, my main interest is in the Aggregate Data Extension, and in
the kind of data sets that covers the different members of a dataset are
frequently differentiated mainly by the area/administrative unit they cover.

Humphrey Southall

At 12:44 04/01/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>I'll send some along a bit later. However, check in the DTD, I believe it
>has a pretty good explanation. This geographic information is definately
>not a substitute for FGDC or other geographic file descriptors. It
>provides a coordinate based searching approach for data file
>identification. It provides the basic bounding box info and allows for one
>or more bounding polygons (closer approximation of the geographic shape of
>the area covered by the data file.
>
>I'll see what I can dig up for you a bit later...sorry for the delay
>
>wendy
>

>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, A. Michelle Edwards wrote:
>
> > Hello again all!
> >
> > Another question - is there any documentation available for the new
> tags dealing with Geo data?  Specifically tags 2.2.3.6 - 2.2.3.7?  I
> haven't been able to find anything on the DDI page..
> >
> > Also - has anyone used these and willing to show me an example?  We're
> trying to determine whether using the DDI standard would work for GIS
> data in our setting.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Michelle
> >

> > ___________________________________
> > A. Michelle Edwards, Ph.D.
> > Academic Services, CCS
> > Vehicle Services Bldg, University of Guelph
> > Guelph, Ontario
> > N1G 2W1
> >
> > PH: (519) 824-4120 Ext. 54539
> > FAX: (519) 767-1620
> > Email: edwardsm at uoguelph.ca
> > ___________________________________
>
>Wendy L. Thomas                          Phone: +1 612.624.4389
>Data Access Core Director               Fax:   +1 612.626.8375
>Minnesota Population Center              Email: wlt at pop.umn.edu
>University of Minnesota
>50 Willey Hall
>225 19th Avenue South
>Minneapolis, MN 55455

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ====================================
Humphrey Southall
Reader in Geography/Director,
Great Britain Historical GIS Project
Department of Geography, University of Portsmouth
Buckingham Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth PO1 3HE

GIS Project Office: (023) 9284 2500
Home office:  (020) 8853 0396
Mobile: 0796 808 5454

Web site:	http://www.VisionOfBritain.org.uk