[DDI-users] CATI - type surveys and the DDI

Reto Hadorn reto.hadorn at sidos.unine.ch
Wed Jan 5 03:17:12 EST 2005

Here a complementary note.

Actually the Tag Library recommends to enter the list of all questions to
be asked under the condition defined as PCDATA, at least if the condition
is restrictive (follow-up question not asked to all respondents). If the
next question to be asked is the one to be asked to all respondents again,
one question identifier only.

The handling of routing information is a tough issue anyway. I have thought
of a solution for a relational database, which combines routing and
filtering information. For more information, cf. page
http://www.sidos.ch/mmg/vi/html/21.htm (for help on this information
system: http://www.sidos.ch/mmg/vi/html/479.htm). The table design allows
to generate the information needed for the forward and backward DDI
elements, and more.

The model becomes more complex as soon as you consider distinct types of
questions, like multiple response or item questions, or even grids with
internal filtering. As to the computation of the sometimes complex
conditions under which a filtered variable will have an 'inappropriate'
type of code, all problems are not yet solved.

Best wishes

Reto